Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2015

Fresh Pear Sauce

We had some beautiful and delicious fresh pears from The Big Red Barn  in Santaquin, then all of a sudden it had been 3 weeks since I bought them and they looked like they were on the edge of turning. So my son and I fixed up a version of this recipe and it was a total hit! It was so fun to involve him in the process. I love my "big" helper!



 

My "Big" helper
Fresh Pear Sauce

8-10 pears; peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces (I use Bartlett)
1/3 cup water
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
3Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Method:

Combine pears, water, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer with a lid on the pan, stirring occasionally, until pears have softened, about 25-30 minutes.

Use an immersion blender or blender to process the pear sauce until smooth. If you prefer a chunkier pear sauce, mash with a potato masher.

Once the pear sauce has cooled down, pour into glass or plastic containers. Cover and store in the refrigerator. The pear sauce will keep in the fridge for one week. You can also freeze or can the pear sauce.

Pear Sauce