I LOVE CARAMEL! Nothing says christmas for me quite like homemade caramel. I can't believe it but I made this recipe 4 times and they were still gone faster than lightning! A candy thermometer is crucial to making sure that the caramel is cooked to the right texture.
Recipe Yields: 1 jelly roll pan, or for thicker caramels put them in a 9x13
*I often double the recipe so that there are plenty to give away!
1 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan.
- Add your brown sugar. (brown sugar is the reason that these caramels taste so much better than most so don't even think about substitution) Stir it all around until it dissolves completely.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, and the corn syrup.
- Over medium heat bring the mixture to a boil, while stirring. Stirring is crucial here. Don't stop stirring, no matter what!
- The mixture will need to boil for 20-30 minutes or until the temperature on your candy thermometer reads between 235-240.
- Remove your caramel from the heat then add 2 tsp vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the caramel into a buttered jelly roll pan. Allow caramels to cool and set. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Cut them into strips and then into the desired size squares. A pizza wheel works well for this.
- Cut up some wax paper and you are set to wrap your fabulous caramels.