I was talking with some friends this week about cowboy cookies, so as soon as we got our oven fixed this morning Madison and I decided to make some. I am extremely pleased with how these turned out.
Laura Bush’s Cowboy Cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 1/2 c white and 1 1/2 c wheat)
1 tablespoon. baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I used 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar (I used 2 cups)
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened flake coconut
2 cups chopped pecans (I replaced these with butterscotch chips)
Prep Time: 25 minutesBake Time: 17 to 20 minutesYield: About 3 dozen cookies (see note below)
1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl.
3. In 8-quart bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugars; beat to combine, 2 minutes.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla.
5. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans.
6. For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.
7. Bake in 350 F oven 17 to 29 minutes, until edges are lightly browned; rotate sheets halfway through. Remove cookies from rack to cool.
Note: For 6 dozen small cookies, use 2 tablespoons dough for each. Bake at 350 F for 15 to 18 minutes.
Copyright 2000, Laura Bush